Saturday, April 9, 2011

Headaches

I seem to be prone to really bad headaches. I sometimes wonder if I have something wrong with me. A tumour in my brain or something that's causing them. They get really bad, sometimes crippling me. I think the worst I've had was a couple months ago. I was in agony. Thankfully it was over a weekend, so I didn't make a scene somewhere.

When I was in grade three, the headaches started. It was typically when we were in the gym. Every little sound was like a gunshot in my skull. So if you put a bunch of rowdy kids in a gym that echos, you're going to get a hell of a lot of noise. My friend Maasa often took care of me, taking me out into the hall, or the change room if it was really bad, until I could function again. I remember the pain being like somebody was trying to crack my skull open. Or like there was some banshee stuck in there that wanted out.

Ever since then I've been prone to really bad headaches. The constant pain within my skull has become something normal for me, and because of it I have a very high pain tolerance. Oddly enough, the one thing that usually helps my headaches and migraine is loud music with a steady beat. It turns the waves of pain into a sort of throbbing. Somehow, I find this a lot less painful, because it matches the beat of whatever song I'm listening to and just blends into it. I'm not sure how to describe it.

People think this makes me weird. I tell them they're right.
-Persephone

No comments:

Post a Comment